The map to the below shows Ian's current known location, past route and any information he supplies which we can add to the map as he goes along.

The Journal section will provided the running commentary of the expedition so far.

Some photos will be added to the map, but please visit the photo album for the full record of the trip.

Navigation Resources

Pretty much all the sources of information I come across in my planning point to one thing, the need to be able to adapt if a situation arises. As far as planning my route is concerned I intend to have a basic route from which I will deviate if I choose or when necessary. The wonders of modern GPS will hopefully allow freedom with a certain amount of security.

I am using a Garmin 276c which I will fit with an external antenna but will probably try to go for a discrete one without Garmin emblazoned on it for the worlds thieves to spot.

I will use Garmin Mapsource software to plan a basic route and will also use the highly recommended Tracks for Africa hopefully contributing to their ever expanding database.

I have the 3 basic Michelin maps for Africa along with a great book The National Geographic African Adventure Atlas. This book appears to have most of the regularly available African maps in one volume. It contains lots of other great information as well.

As back up to the GPS I have a Silva vehicle mounted compass which I will set up in the Summer and I will also carry a handheld compass. Combining these with maps and local assistance I should hopefully manage.


Route (with more breaking news)

This will have a live update map showing location and route travelled to date via upload of GPS co-ordinates. So what have I decided upon?

As I am part way through my trip we are now on Plan B. This has been based on both logistical and safety concerns.

Plan A is the West Coast route which may be much dependant upon the availability of Angolan Visas. There was a trip last year with a hot tip but I have just followed another blog which found the same source blocked. Lots to work out on this one and a full prospective route will be listed shortly but you can at least pencil in Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania and Mali.

Plan B is to get as far as Ghana and assess the onward route with a view to shipping onwards.

Plan C is to ship out to Namibia and visit the Southern and some Eastern parts of the continent before deciding to head up the East and out through Sudan and Saudi Arabia or ship back home.

Plan D is as yet unplanned..........!


There has been a coup in Mauritania. I still have several months to go but this may push me straight to Plan C if it doesn't settle down. FCO currently advising against all travel. The following link is now out of date but the FCO website is a good starting point provided you read the small print with regard to which districts are affected by a situation.

Obviously I will watch this and all other FCO advisories with great interest and concern.

Checked that link yesterday 6th September and FCO downgraded status by one level to advice against all but essential travel.

Sept 28th. No further news on any change from Mauritania. Will try to find out more later this week.