Route (with more breaking news)

This will have a live update map showing location and route travelled to date via upload of GPS co-ordinates. So what have I decided upon?

As I am part way through my trip we are now on Plan B. This has been based on both logistical and safety concerns.

Plan A is the West Coast route which may be much dependant upon the availability of Angolan Visas. There was a trip last year with a hot tip but I have just followed another blog which found the same source blocked. Lots to work out on this one and a full prospective route will be listed shortly but you can at least pencil in Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania and Mali.

Plan B is to get as far as Ghana and assess the onward route with a view to shipping onwards.

Plan C is to ship out to Namibia and visit the Southern and some Eastern parts of the continent before deciding to head up the East and out through Sudan and Saudi Arabia or ship back home.

Plan D is as yet unplanned..........!


There has been a coup in Mauritania. I still have several months to go but this may push me straight to Plan C if it doesn't settle down. FCO currently advising against all travel. The following link is now out of date but the FCO website is a good starting point provided you read the small print with regard to which districts are affected by a situation.

Obviously I will watch this and all other FCO advisories with great interest and concern.

Checked that link yesterday 6th September and FCO downgraded status by one level to advice against all but essential travel.

Sept 28th. No further news on any change from Mauritania. Will try to find out more later this week.